London Sport have announced a new category which will celebrate ‘sport for social integration’ at its annual awards.
The ‘Sport Unites’ award, created in partnership with the Mayor of London, will celebrate organisations that use sport to improve community cohesion and social integration in the city.
Tove Okunniwa, Chief Executive of London Sport, told ConnectSport: “Sport for social integration is an increasingly important area of focus for London, and speaks directly to the Mayor of London’s stated ambition to make London the most active and socially integrated city in the world.
“Delivered effectively, sport for social integration brings people and communities together through sport to create meaningful relationships, and creates the right environment for people of different backgrounds, beliefs or circumstances to meet and improve respect and acceptance of those differences.
“The Sport Unites Award has been established to celebrate the best uses of sport for social integration, and to help reinforce the role of sport in promoting a more integrated London.”
The award aims to recognise projects that have helped to relieve tension, end disunity or discrimination, and promote better understanding and acceptance of differences and individuality through physical activity and sport.
The winner of the award, which supersedes the ‘London Together’ award (above), will have intentionally used sport to achieve one or more of the following:
- Bringing people together from more than one community and from diverse backgrounds, and embracing ethnic, cultural, physical and other differences.
- Providing ways of addressing and resolving conflict, and inspiring trust.
- Helping members of the local community to overcome loneliness or isolation.
- Providing activity for newcomers to London to foster understanding or integration.
- Combining sport with other activities (eg music, cultural activities, street food etc.) to engage people and enrich their lives.
- Using local knowledge and networks to find out what matters to their community and deliver accordingly.
- Increasing access to education and pathways to employment.
To book tickets for the London Sport Awards 2019, click here.